19-point SAFERhome Standards
There is now a real option to get more than the traditionally accepted minimum building standard: SAFERhome design.
SAFERhome is an overlay for homes that brings flexibility, safety, comfort, and cost savings. All criteria are within the existing Provincial and National Building Codes. SAFERhome Standards are measurable and tangible "gold standards" in universal home design. Universal design is a way to build homes that work for all people.
- Criteria 1: Exterior Thresholds
All exterior thresholds are flush.
- Criteria 2: Interior Thresholds
All interior thresholds meet minimal code constraints (e.g., shower entrance).
- Criteria 3: Positioning of Bath and Shower Controls
All controls are offset from centre, roughly halfway between the centre and the outside edge of the shower or bathtub enclosure.
- Criteria 4: Pressure/Temperature Control Valves (Canada for renovations only)
Control valves are installed on all shower faucets.
- Criteria 5: Washroom Wall Reinforcements
Reinforced with 2"x12" solid lumber in all washroom bathtub, shower, and toilet locations.
- Criteria 6 Waste Pipes
All pipes are brought in no higher than 14" to the centre of the pipe from floor level.
- Criteria 7: Sink Cabinets
Cabinets underneath each sink are easily removed.
- Criteria 8: Doors (pinch points)
All doors and pinch points are a minimum of 34" but ideally 36" wide.
- Criteria 9: Hallways
All hallways are a minimum of 40" but ideally 42" wide.
- Criteria 10: Positioning of Light Switches
All switches positioned at 42" to the centre of the electrical box from the finished floor.
- Criteria 11: Positioning of Electrical Outlets
All outlets positioned at 18" to the centre of the electrical box from the finished floor.
- Criteria 12: Placement Locations of Electrical Outlets
- Beside windows, especially where draperies or blinds may be installed;
- Bottom of stairways;
- Beside the toilet;
- Above external doors (outside and inside);
- On the front face of the kitchen counter;
- At Node Zero Location (the communications control centre for smart home options) where all the house wiring meets in one place.
- Criteria 13: Electrical Boxes
All light switches and A/C outlets use Smart electrical boxes.
- Criteria 14: Four-Plex Outlet Locations
Placed in master bedroom, home office, garage, and recreation room.
- Criteria 15: Telephone Pre-Wiring
CAT 5E (4 pair) homerun to all areas and return to one central area (Node Zero).
- Criteria 16: RG-6 Coaxial Cables Runs
All homeruns return to one central area. (Node Zero)
- Criteria 17 Low-Voltage Runs
All other low-voltage homeruns (eg. door bells, security systems, etc.) return to one central area. (Node Zero)
- Criteria 18: Wall Reinforcements (Top of the Stairs)
At the top of all stairways, walls are reinforced with 2"x12" solid lumber at 36" to centre.
- Criteria 19: Provision for Multi-storey Connection
Either an allowance for an elevator option in stacked closets, or build all staircase(s) with a minimum width of 42".